Sunday, June 19, 2011

The Lord Gives and He Takes Away

This week has been an up and down roller coaster for me. I have seen the Lord meet so many needs here in the greater area of Nairobi, as well as remain completely in control of things back home that haven't turned out as any of us would have liked them to. Let me start with my good friend's, the Nickell family.

Cole has been a very close friend to me since my senior year in high school. He actually played an integral role in me going to Covenant. Well this year his wife had a son who was born with several issues. I do not know the exact details, but from the beginning of her pregnancy the doctors had told them that this would be difficult. Well a little over a month ago, Cole Matthew Nickell Jr., was born and since birth never made it out of the hospital. Well yesterday, before I left the house I checked facebook and I saw that Matthew wasn't doing so well. I began to just start praying, but the feeling I had inside was something that I hadn't experienced in a very long time, and a feeling I hope I never have to have again. When I got home I got a text from Olivia telling me that Matthew had passed away. I know that he is in a much better place where he can breathe on his own, run around, and do all those things he should have been able to do on earth, but my heart just breaks for Cole, Julia, and the rest of the family. It is so hard being here at times when I just want to get on a plane to go see my brother and give him a huge hug and be there for him. I can't imagine the pain and loss that Cole is feeling and would just beg you to keep them in your prayers.

So a midst having that feeling of wanting to be to back home, I have also had the feeling and experienced God moving in me and directing me here in Kenya. This week we had two mission teams from the States come and work with our partner church, ICC. One team went around and did school visits presenting the Gospel, while the other group had a four day, free medical clinic for the local area. I worked primarily with the medical team by assisting them wherever they needed help.

The first day, we took several groups of four Americans into Mukuru slum and handed out fliers for the medical camp. The next day we did the same, but also threw in some evangelism. Between those two days, I spent a total of seven and a half hours walking around in that slum talking with people. I think those two days were preparing me for the third day, because everything that I had experienced, witnessing, meeting new faces, and actually trying to organize things came at me faster than I was ready for.

When I walked onto the campus there were at least one hundred and fifty people queuing (waiting in line) for the clinic. We had to drastically change our waiting room that had previously been a small tent into moving people where there was shade and some order. After that I was running errands here and there and then next thing I know, the pastors were calling me over and told me to go preach to the 60+ people in line. I had two minutes to prepare myself and it was literally by the hand of God that I was able to connect and speak to those people. And as I was speaking, I realized that I was no different from them. I needed healing just as much as they needed to be seen by the doctor and get medicine. I was right there with them. By the Lord's grace, 15 people came to know the Lord and by the end of the clinic 1,663 people received medical help and 297 were saved!

Like I said, it's been a roller coaster and something that words will never be able to describe. Feeling the excitement and pure joy for those receiving new life and then hearing about life being taken away, it's a lot to process. God is good, all the time. All the time, God is good. I will never forget those words and I pray that I will never forget my daily need for Jesus and spiritual healing.

No comments:

Post a Comment