Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Habari Jako!

I know that it has been a while since I last posted something about what I am experiencing here, but before I do that, I would like to thank those of you who have contacted me about supporting Emily and her schooling. So far we have raised enough money to get her through one term and half of another. If you are interested in sponsoring any other term or have a question, you can email me at jpelts@gmail.com.

Ok, now to the stories. Well a lot has happened over the last two/three weeks. The big event was my Kenyan sister's high school graduation from Rosslyn Academy. She has yet to decide where she is going to continue her education, either at Wake Forest or a school in Canada. Because her school is run just like an American school, they played the popular pomp and circumstance, had the valedictorian address, and Sonia was the class speaker, which she did an absolutely fantastic job. The celebration was spread across both sides of the family and even continued late into the night. After the ceremony, we went back to her family's house where we consumed the most amount of meat that I have had since being here, as well as share with Sonia advice and well wishes. I was in no way planning on having to make a speech, but at the very end Mr. Kuguru had me and one of Sonia's cousins speak on behalf of the youths.

The whole night was a blast as I was included in all the family discussions (even had my own interpreter) and just felt like I was part of the family. I think that I keep saying this, but I'll continue to say it that I am so thankful for the Kuguru family and their taking me under their wing.

Mr. and Mrs. Kuguru got back from the states two days before Sonia's graduation and while they were there my family and Olivia were able to send me some clothes as well as a new iPod and iPhone. I finally figured out how to jailbreak the iPhone last night and it is so nice to have.

The other crazy news is over the last two weeks, our organization AIS, has been swamped. We tried to sell the professional team because it was becoming a burden on our ministry and requiring too much of our resources. Quite frankly it was becoming what we call in a marketing with Dr. Quatro, a dog and it needed to be shot. Unfortunately, the legal documents have prevented us from selling and relinquishing all of our debts and actually getting some money out of the deal. Our national director is actually flying in tomorrow morning to help sort things out.

You can be praying that we are able to sort out this situation and that in the process we would continually strive to make decisions in the best interest of the ministry.

I'm sorry that it has taken me so long to write something, but now you've got an idea what all has been happening here. Oh and the countdown for when Olivia gets here is down to 29 days! Wow has time flown since I got here. Looking forward to sending you more stories and hope everyone is well. Baraka (blessings).

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pelts!! Lovee it!! :)

    -Sonia

    ReplyDelete