Wednesday, July 20, 2011

A LOT HAS HAPPENED. SHEESH!

Where to begin? Well to start out with, I AM ENGAGED! Yes, you read that correctly. I am getting married. Crazy I know, but I know that I made the second best decision of my life when I got down on one knee and asked Olivia to marry me.

So... the story. Well last weekend, Olivia and I went with a friend to Sweetwater Safari Reserve. It is located at the base of Mount Kenya and the only word to really describe our experience was unbelievable. After taking a few wrong turns and accidentally running into a herd of elephants, no lie, we made it to our 5 star resort, where we were greeted with zebras, giraffes, and hundreds of other animals. I will never forget getting out of the car at the resort and looking out over the property right next to our room and seeing a bull elephant in the middle of a clearing with zebras all around him. The scene was just surreal. After checking in we went on a game drive where we saw water buffalo, chimps, rhinos, hippos, and more animals that I don't know how to spell.

After the game drive we decided to go for a walk around the resort. As we were walking we came across another clearing that had over a hundred zebras, ostriches, antelope, water bucks, and the sun was setting over Mount Kenya. It was seriously like walking into a scene from the National Geographic special on Africa. I had originally planned to propose at night, but the scene was so picturesque that I couldn't pass it up. I was able to tell my friend what was about to happen and managed to give Olivia the greatest surprise ever.

I don't really remember what all I said other than that I want to do life with her and I want her to have my babies. Since it was a spur of the moment  decision, I was so nervous that one, I couldn't take off her promise ring that I had given her last year, and two I literally had to take a minute to compose myself when I got on one knee. The funny thing is that in the midst of our hearts racing and the monumental decision that was happening, I never asked her to be my wife. As soon as I pulled out the ring she just started saying yes yes and that was that. I did ask her after we embraced and I realized that I never actually asked the question and thankfully she still said yes.

Our friend Jennie was able to capture the moment from us, which you can see the pictures and the video on our facebook. After that, we were able to see more animals and enjoy some of the best food in Africa, oh and yes we saw three lions the next day!

Apart from the safari and the proposal, Olivia and I have been enjoying so many memories and times together. As we were preparing to see each other, we both thought that there would be a day or two of awkwardness because we hadn't seen each other in over 6 months, but none of that happened. It was like we picked up right where we left off, but the relationship was much deeper than before.

Olivia has been very busy these last two weeks as she has had two job interviews, been offered a job, networking within Nairobi, going through pre-marital counseling, registering online for wedding gifts, planning the wedding ceremony, and organizing how November and December will work out with me coming home, wedding preparations, and where we will spend Thanksgiving and Christmas. It has been hectic and at times overwhelming, but I wouldn't trade this for anything. Somehow we will get all the money to buy the plane tickets we need so this can work out, but every day is just another step of faith knowing that it is His plan and not mine.

Well I think that I will stop here before I fall over in my seat from my lower back ache. Thank you all so much for your prayers and if you are in the Dallas area January 6th then you should really consider stopping by Park Cities Presbyterian Church around 7pm, because its going to be a party! Until next time, cheers.

1 comment: